Entomologer studerar insekter, som är en klass inom leddjuren och utgör den artrikaste djurgruppen bland landdjuren.
Entomologi är vetenskapen om insekterna och är således ett delområde av zoologin. Entomologer är alltså zoologer, som specialiserar sig på insekter.
Insekterna är naturens "superhjältar", som besitter otroliga samarbets- och anpassningsförmågor och uppvisar även logistiska och immunologiska lösningar, som människor kan dra mycket nytta av. De lösningar som insekterna har genom evolutionen "kommit på" används redan av människor, inom många branscher och kunskapsområden, exempelvis i kemiska- och läkemedelsbranschen samt inom arkitektur.
Visste du att...?
... den farligaste människomördaren av alla djur är troligtvis en mygga, detta pga att myggor sprider malaria, som dödar hundratusentals människor varje år. Nästan hälften av jordens befolkning löper risk att smittas av malaria, men statistik kring antal smittade och döda är osäker då långt ifrån alla fall registreras.
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with integrity even in difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
We have an exciting opportunity for you to join us as a lab-based scientist to develop state-of-the-art cell-based screening assays. These assays will be used to support discovery of therapeutic oligos in AstraZeneca’s drug discovery pipeline.
To be successful in the role as Senior Research Scientist we believe you are a highly motivated scientist with a passion to make a difference for patients. We see you as a person who enjoys collaboration and team working, who holds networking skills with experience of interacting effectively across interfaces of functions, disciplines, and cultures. This goes hand in hand with strong delivery focus, problem-solving and communication skills.
- PhD in Biology, Pharmacology, Cell biology or a related discipline or a BSc/MSc degree with significant relevant experience, preferably in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
- Strong experience in cell biology techniques applied to development of physiologically relevant cellular assays
- A practical understanding of a wide range of cellular assay methods and technologies including qPCR and imaging applied to compound profiling and screening
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to operate effectively in a multi-disciplinary research environment
- Expertise in a range of cell biology techniques, including mammalian cell culture, transfection methods and gene expression knock-down (RNAi or other)
- Expertise in the design, development and validation of cellular assays for compound screening and profiling including ASOs, siRNAs or saRNAs
- Experience with automation of cell assays, e.g. work with liquid handlers like Echo, BRAVO, CyBi well or Dragonfly
- Experience with design of experiments and statistical analysis of assay performance
- Track record of identifying and adopting scientific and technical advances
- Excellent problem-solving skills, not limited to own area of expertise
About the company
Poolia Sverige AB
Are you an enthusiastic scientist with expertise in protein crystallography? Would you like to apply your expertise at a company that are following the science and turn ideas into life changing medicines? Then you might be the one we are looking for!
This is an opportunity for a collaborative, creative and hardworking lab-based protein structure scientist to play an influential role in drug discovery projects at AstraZeneca in Gothenburg, Sweden. The role is based in the Protein structure team within the Mechanistic & Structural Biology (M&SB) department based in Gothenburg, Sweden supporting biopharma drug discovery projects. In this position you will be a part of Discovery Sciences in AstraZeneca’s BioPharmaceuticals organization.
The M&SB department has leading capabilities in mechanistic biology, compound profiling, biophysics, crystallography and cryo-EM. The Protein structure team has expertise in protein crystallography and is building a capability in cryo-electron microscopy. We have a highly automated lab for protein crystallography and cryo-EM sample preparation, and are constantly pushing the limits for what type of molecular targets can be subjected to structural studies, ranging from small single domain proteins to membrane proteins and large multi-protein complexes. The protein structure information is used to guide design of our lead molecules and to provide key mode of action information.
Thrive in a place where the brightest and most curious minds seamlessly come together in our inclusive environment.
- Perform crystallization screening of proteins, protein ligands complexes, biological macromolecules and biological macromolecule complexes.
- Collect X-ray data using a number of synchrotron beamlines.
- Support ’in crystal’ fragment screens, HTS read out, and other hit finding strategies.
- Identify improvements and innovations in crystallization techniques.
- Work as a team player to ensure delivery of quality leads for projects.
- Ph.D. in biochemistry, molecular biology or a related discipline or a BSc/MSc degree with significant proven experience, preferably in the Pharmaceutical or Biotechnology industry.
- Expertise in protein crystallisation and X-ray data collection.
- Significant experience in protein characterisation.
- Independent analysis and evaluation of complex data and delivery of data to agreed timelines.
- The successful candidate should also enjoy to collaborate and communicate with all. As well as have the ability to operate effectively in a multi-disciplinary research environment and team.
Desirable in the role:
- Experience in protein structure refinement and interpretation.
- Experience in related areas, such as protein science and biophysics.
- Experience with other techniques for structural studies (Cryo-EM, SAXS).
With more than 2,400 employees from over than 50 countries, our vibrant Gothenburg site is a truly inspiring place to work. Here, the history and future of scientific breakthrough come together. We believe that the diversity of our people is crucial to bringing new discoveries to life. We nurture this collaboration and openness, by creating a site that has space for meetings, socialising and relaxation – where spontaneous moments can spark innovation.
If this sounds like the job and place for your – apply today!
Deadline 2021-10-27, selection and interviews will be ongoing. The position may be filled before the last day of application, therefore, apply as soon as possible.
About the company
Thesis project: 30 credits
Student location: AstraZeneca, Gothenburg, Sweden
Start: January 2022
Do you have experience of and interest in working with histology? Would you like to develop tissue clearing protocols for whole organ imaging ? Then this Master thesis project at AstraZeneca might be of interest to you!
For this project, you will join Cell and Molecular Pharmacology (CMP) team that delivers key data within histology, imaging, biomarker, FACS and bioassay automation to Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism (CVRM) disease areas. Within the histology group we are at the scientific forefront of latest histology technique and image analyses.
3D organ imaging is hampered due to low light penetration through the tissue. Major cause of low tissue transparency is light scattering caused by organ components such as lipids, pigments and collagen fibers. By using optical clearing agents (OCAs) these disturbing components are removed from the tissue, leading to improvement of light penetration and increasing tissue transparency and enabling whole organ imaging.
- The goal of thesis is to develop tissue clearing protocol to achieve tissue transparency while preserving organ morphology and fluorescent labelling for kidney, heart and liver.
As master student you will be a part of our histology team and learn about tissue fixation, processing, labelling, and imaging.
We look forward working with you!
- Well-organized and focused mindset
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Desire to learn and try new things.
All chosen candidates need to pass a background check and an alcohol and drug test before starting the project.
Deadline for application: 2021-10-29
For more information: Veronika Knudsen [email protected] or Kerstin Karlsson [email protected]
About the company
Our Gothenburg site is one of AstraZeneca's three strategic science centers. We thrive in a multinational environment working cross-functionally across the globe with AstraZeneca colleagues as well as academic and industry partners. Our way of life is to foster a working environment that nurtures collaboration, openness and innovation. Therefore, we have created space for meetings, socializing and relaxation, where spontaneous meetings can give birth to new innovations. The unexpected ideas or thoughts that can come from a chat over something as simple as a cup of coffee or a stroll on our “walk and talk” meeting trail. AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.