WHO YOU ARE
WHY SHOULD YOU JOIN IKEA?
Hej! My name is Nivi and I am privileged to lead Fulfilment Locations engineering teams at IKEA. I thought I would share why I joined IKEA and why I hope you want to join as well:
● Our strong culture and values that we use in our day to day work life and guide us in our decisions. The one closes to my heart are Togetherness and enthusiasm, Simplicity, Lead by example to mention a few.
● The ambitious challenges we are going after:
- How can we help more of the many people have an affordable and better everyday life at home and be more convenient to where they are? At the same time, how can we become truly people and planet positive?
- “Change everything (almost!) - The world is changing, fast. Urbanisation, technology and digitalisation are disrupting and changing retail forever. Going forward, retail will be a mix of digital and physical with excellence in logistics.
● The challenge of transforming such a global iconic brand as IKEA is breath taking – You can read about INGKA’s ‘10 jobs in 3 years’ https://www.ingka.com/what-we-do/ikea-retail/ , 5 of them are underpinned by the amazing work we will do in Fulfilment, Logistics & Inventory Management.
● Our strong belief that diversity in teams delivers better thought through outcomes. We have a high focus on diversity. One example of this is that we have 50% male/female managers within IKEA and the commitment is to have this in every part of the organisation.
● The flexible work life balance. Leaders consistently ensure that my role doesn’t interfere with having a great quality of life out of work – We know when people are happy, they do their best work.
WHAT WOULD WE ASK FROM YOU?
● To have a relentless passion and vision for meeting the customer promise. Motivating your engineers to be outcome focused, dare to be innovative and determined to solve challenges.
● Being passionate about our core values - togetherness, simplicity and lead by example.
● To have a track record of building teams at pace and still creating happy and focused teams, including manager responsibilities for employed and consultants. Take accountability for the total technology costs.
● To inspire your engineering teams and others to build the highest standard of software that builds confidence with our customers, operations and stakeholders due to its excellence in agility and resilience. Be strong on the architectural side and be able to communicate and spread the knowledge.
● Even though you might not be coding most of your time, we are looking for leaders who actually have the desire to collaborate with the teams and join architectural discussions when needed.
● To have practical experience of the following practices:
- version control of every component
- deployment automation
- continuous integration
- trunk-based development
- test automation and test data management
- shift left on security
- loosely coupled architecture (e.g. domain driven design, microservices, API 1st)
- empowered teams / monitoring / proactive notifications.
● To create a one team atmosphere between all co-workers in engineering, product, data science, business development, operations etc. Focused on delivering value together. Be able to guide the team when it comes to technology and other areas to create value for the customer.
● To enjoy building your teams with a DevOps mentality to develop new, scalable, enterprise technology, able to run our global operations 24/7.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING DAY TO DAY
As an Engineering Manager you will be delivering value to customers and co-workers through our logistic products in the ‘Fulfilment Locations’ domain, you will have the exciting challenge to:
● Build and run the technology that underpins our global circa 40 billion Euro business across 377 IKEA stores, 40+ fulfilment centres, click & collect solutions, final mile delivery and services like installation in our customers’ homes.
● Create a new IKEA, by building the capability to dynamically shift fulfilment across all our locations, buildings, transport and partners – responding to situations like COVID-19 pandemic in near real time to meet our customers’ needs and minimizing impact on the planet.
● Unlocking our plans to:
- Build new engaging city store formats providing convenience to our customers.
- Contribute to our sustainability goals by offering customers the ability to recycle and rent/subscribe IKEA products.
- Simplify and automate goods flows on a global scale to meet our cost-conscious objectives thus providing IKEA products to the many at a sustainable cost.
● Transform the current IT landscape into a modern technology stack which will:
- Enable us to test and learn quickly to meet our customers’ demands,
- Provide highly available, resilient and secure products.
● Manage one or several teams working and collaborate with other engineering teams and stakeholders at our global digital development hubs.
● Take an end-to-end responsibility technology products in cross functional engineering teams.
● Be part of recruiting and building your engineering teams.
We are big believers in enabling our leaders to act with autonomy and as such you would lead the technical decisions of how you want to build and implement your products.
ABOUT THIS WORK AREA
We’re the ones who make it possible for people to have a smarter life at home and a hassle-free and rewarding shopping experience. Together we work to find new digital solutions for every business need to help make IKEA a great and efficient place to work. We like to think of ourselves as innovative and modern, and we believe that nothing would actually work without us.
IKEA IT AB